Sunday, November 7, 2010

In The Dark Room Is Where I Found My Passion For Photography

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In 2004 at The Atlanta College of Art before it became Scad is where my career as a photographer started. I had a K-1000 Pentax Camera and I was in Robert Stewart's basic photography 101 class Black & White. When I started it seemed like I failed every assignment. When I thought my pictures were great the class critique thought differently. I was told my work was stereotypical and not interesting. Now I know that my professor saw talent in me and was only pushing me harder so I could reach some of the achievements that I've made today. I can remember being so frustrated with the fact of shutter speeds, ISO, and the entire process of producing photo's in a dark room. My God I hated the process then, but I am thankful and love the fact that I was able to experience the process before the digital age came. Something about the dark room is so romantic and intimate while watching photo's appear out of seeming to be thin air. It was like magic to me once I got the hang of photo emulsion and d-12 Developer, that was before all of my images came out blurry and with purple tints around them. Looking back the dark room experiences is something I will never forget, it's where I found peace and found my passion for photography. Today with all the fast business deals, booking, and agents makes me miss the times when I was just taking photo's to put a smile on some one's face or simply because I wanted to express myself. I think this month I will go back and visit the place where my passion started. time to put down the 5-D and pick up the K-1000 again. Cheers to growth and progress, and cheers to a true passion for a life time of work that will never get boring.

Calvin Evans

No comments: